
On Wednesday, I attended my first function associated with InterVarsity, English club, what a hoot! English club, much like many of our formal and informal IV activities in the States are a way of meeting students and forming relationships, there is nothing religious about this particular gathering. I had fun getting to know some students, overall the evening was very light and energetic and I enjoyed getting to know some people. I hope that through these activities I can start to form meaningful relationships. After the club, a group of students and I went to a local "fast food" joint "Pizza Blues" to enjoy some more socializing. I was struck by how much I was reminded of our post-IV fun at Applebees!

Yesterday I met with the director of School No. 25, where I will work. During the same meeting I met with the English teachers, three teachers total, named Natalya, Natalya and Natalya. We discussed thoughts about the program, lesson ideas, etc. I also was introduced to my assistant, a young teacher who'll be making sure I am where I need to be as well as have everything I require, can you guess what her name is? Yes, you guess it! Natalya! Apparently, I'll be working with all the Natalya's the faculty has to offer! As well as meeting everyone named Natalya, I also was shown the classrooms and the rest of the school. I was struck by how primitive the facility was.
My first impression was upon arrival. On the exterior of the building there was nothing to say what school this is, even that it was a school! or I guess one just has to know. While the building and most classrooms were fairly primitive according to American standards, I was also struck by how much technology there was at their disposal! They had a computer lab filled with new computers, a digital projector, as well as an interactive white board, an "ActivBoard", the likes of which I'd never seen.
Hi Sarah! Hope you're having fun. I miss you.
ReplyDeleteYour Father
Working with the Natalyas will be a lot like living with the Sarahs! I miss you much! Hope you're having fun!
ReplyDeleteCan I come for some post IV Pizza Blues?!
ReplyDeleteMissing ya stateside!
Sarah (unless you've changed your name to Natalya to better fit in?), glad to read of your whole approach to this. Sounds like a good fit for you, and a bit of a stretch at the same time. There's a lot of good to be done and growth too, and it'll be fun to follow along here.
ReplyDeleteBest,
Bill Smith